Welcome to the Yakima Prospectors Association Website
Our club was originally formed in the early 1980’s as a chapter of the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) and chartered by George (Buzzard) Massie, president and founder of the GPAA. The YPA club is focused on sharing the prospecting history and knowledge on the local area. We are active in promoting prospecting with local events, putting on panning demonstrations and educating the public and youth with our prospecting hobby.
Our club is a member of the Resources Coalition (RC) which is made up of Washington State prospecting clubs and individuals. The primary mission of the RC is to keep an eye on the State and National governments with regulations that limit our congressional rights as prospectors under the mining laws of 1866 and 1872. These rights are given to individuals who are known as “Small Scale Prospectors and miners,” not “recreational miners” who have no rights. There are a lot of groups and organizations that would like to eliminate our activities and close our access to public lands.
We hold monthly meetings and have outings mostly in the fall, spring, and summer months when weather is comfortable to be in the outdoors. Some of our outings involve mine tours, metal detecting, and prospecting on our claims. Our outings usually involve pot lucks and families are welcome. We have a Christmas party in December with a pot luck at our regular meeting. Outings are a great way to get hands on experience for new prospectors from experienced members.
Our club is an associate member of the Yakima Rock and Mineral Club, allowing their members and ours to attend each clubs meetings and outings. We share each other’s newsletters and meeting minutes to keep everyone’s activities known.
Thank You for your interest and may the bottom of your pan turn yellow!
Jack Gilbert, Treasurer
Yakima Prospectors Association
- Meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m.
- We meet at the corner of 1st Street & Lincoln Avenue. Click here for map.
- There is a raffle and prizes.
- $20 per year. Includes access to field trips and claims.
- As a member of the Yakima Prospectors Association, you will have full access to all club claims.
- Click here for membership application.
- Several outings are planned throughout the year.
- Members can also enjoy metal detecting and rockhounding activities, as well as prospecting.
- Demonstrations include panning and sluicing at local community events.
- And always, all gold you find as a member on club claims, you keep!